Here’s a guide on how to install Farming Simulator 22 mods, aka FS22 mods. Because the methods are different on different systems, the guide is divided into several parts. Use the table of contents below to navigate to the subject you’re most interested in.
How to Install FS 22 Mods on PC and Mac – Method 1
For many farm sim players, mods are the bread and butter of a great gameplay experience. Let us show you the first method for installing one or more of them on your computer
Method 1 focuses on installing mods on your computer from Giants Software’s official modhub. One significant benefit of all the modhub mods is that they are all tested and confirmed to be working in the game.
Here’s the easiest way to install them on a PC or Mac:
1. Make sure FS22 is running. Visit the main menu.
2. Click on Downloadable Content to open the in-game modhub category page.
3. Click on your desired mod category.
(You might have to press X on your keyboard to see all available mods, not just the Crossplay Mods only.)
4. Double-click on the mod you want to download and install. This opens the details page.
5. Press Enter on your keyboard or click Install to start the download.
When the mod is downloaded, you’ll be asked to restart the game.
Good job! You’re halfway there. You have to activate the mod to enjoy it in the game. See below for instructions on how to activate mods in FS22.
About the + Sign
When you enter the Downloadable Content section of FS22, you’ll probably see categories and mods with a white plus sign on a black circle.
So, what does that symbol mean?
- When placed on individual mod thumbnails, it signals that the mod is new by seven-ish days.
- If a category has the sign, the category has one or more new mods, no older than seven days.
How to Install FS22 Mods on PC and Mac – Method 2
When we write this, there are almost 20,000 mods available for Farming Simulator 19 (FS19.) About 80 % of them are located outside the official Modhub, on various mod sharing sites.
We anticipate even more significant numbers for FS22.
Getting those mods from outside the official modhub to work in FS22 requires a different approach than Method 1.
First, an important fact: All FS22 mods must be placed in the game’s mods folder. The location of this folder is usually C:/Users/[ Your Username ]/Documents/My Games/FarmingSimulator2022/mods
If you put a mod outside this folder, it won’t show up in the game.
When using Method 1 (getting mods from the official modhub), all mods are placed inside this folder automatically. But how do you get mods from mod sites into it? Here’s how you do it:
- Find the mod you want on one of the mod sites.
- Locate the download link.
- Click the link to start downloading the mod to your computer.
- Save it in a folder of your choice.
- Now, move the mod from the download folder to the FS19 mods folder.
Yes, you can download the mod directly to the mods folder. And yes (again), this method also works for downloading mods from the Farming-Simulator.com website instead of using the in-game modhub.
Note that you still have to activate the mod before using it in the game (see below.)
Also, downloading mods from other places than the official modhub can be risky. That’s why we share some tips below on what you can do to reduce the risks involved.
When you download FS22 mods to your computer, you rarely have to do anything besides activate them. Some mods, however, need to be unpacked to work. Most modders will tell you if unpacking is necessary for a mod to work.
If you come across a mod that needs unpacking, you’ll be better off if you download an unpacking software.
- We recommend: 7-Zip.
Most mods come as ZIP or RAR files. You can’t go wrong with 7-Zip because it handles both file formats, in addition to most other packing formats.
Stay Safe When Downloading Mods to PC
There are thousands of mods available for PC and Mac players outside the official modhub. Many of them are hosted on sites that can do a lot of harm to your computer. Many Farm Sim players can tell you how downloading mods from shady mod sites infected their systems with adware, malware, viruses, trojans, and other types of malicious software.
Luckily, there’s an easy way to stay safe. Get a good antivirus software. While you’re at it, get good malware protection software too. Don’t venture into the land of dubious mod sites before installing some security software.
There’s a lot to choose from. Here’s what we think you should install before visiting most mod sites outside Giants Software’s modhub:
- Antivirus software – Avast Free Antivirus.
- Malware remover – Malwarebytes (yes, there’s a free version, but the paid one offers real-time protection.)
How to Install FS22 Mods on Consoles
Did you know that the Farming Simulator games, like FS22, belong to a few selected games with Microsoft and Sony’s acceptance for adding mods to the game? Both companies are usually stringent when adding third-party game extensions to their consoles, but they’ve made an exception for Giants Software.
Farming Simulator mods on consoles are possible thanks to the modhub you’ll find inside the game. Giants’ staff controls all mods here to meet the rules set by the console manufacturers.
So, let’s dive into the how-to. Adding an FS22 mod to PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, or Xbox Series S and X is easy:
- Open the FS22 main menu. If you already have a game running, save and quit first.
- Select Downloadable Content from the main menu. This opens the in-game modhub.
- Pick a mod category.
- Press the left thumbstick to see all mods.
- Select the mod you want to download to open the download screen.
- Press A on the Xbox controller or X on the PlayStation controller to add the mod to the download queue.
Now that the mod(s) of your choice are stored on your computer or your console, you’re almost there. Before you can enjoy the mod, you have to activate it first. This happens on the pre-game screen.
Choose Career from the main menu to open the Game Saves menu.
Select the game save of your choice, then Continue, which opens the Mods/DLC screen.
Now, locate the mod you just downloaded.
Select the mod you’ve just downloaded and installed, then Select.
Press Startand enjoy your fresh mod.
Update Your Mods
Modders, who are the mod creators, often update their mods. We recommend that you open the in-game modhub regularly to see if there are updates for the mods you’ve installed.
Updating mods isn’t really required unless Giants releases a new game patch. Some mods will not work with a new version of the game until you update them. Some mods can even break the game if you use older versions after a new patch is installed.
In-Game Modhub Icons (FS22)
Here’s a quick little guide on how you can get the most out of the official modhub.
When you’re inside the in-game modhub, you’ll notice several icons. This is what they mean:
- Modhub – This takes you back to the main page of the modhub, where you’ll find all the categories.
- Installed – When you select this window, you’ll get an overview of all mods installed on your system.
- Update – Here, you’ll see which of your downloaded mods has updates available.
- Downloads – The download window. Every active download will show up here.
- DLC – This symbol opens the DLC window. Here you’ll see DLC packs that you can buy or get for free.
- Extra Content – Stuff like pre-order bonuses and promotional content will appear on this page.
- Best – Top-rated mods appear here. The ratings are based on player votes.
- Most Downloaded – This window shows you the mods with the most downloads.
- Latest – There’s also a window for the latest additions to the modhub.
- Recommended – Finally, there’s a page for recommended mods.